Saturday, July 6, 2013

Austin to Tyler, meh.....

Many years ago I passed through Tyler, Texas and I for some reason I was impressed by this community, so I decided that I would visit it on this trip.

After four nights in Austin, we pulled up stakes and entered Tyler into the GPS, which then demanded we travel Interstates all the way. Sorry GPS, we're going to go the back roads, through towns like Taylor, Hearne, Buffalo, Palestine (pronounced pal-s-steen), Frankston, and Lake Palestine (you already know how to pronounce it), before arriving in Tyler.

The GPS complained with a number of "recalculating" incantations, but after putting the it on mute for a while, "she" finally recapitulated and led us on a back road tour to Tyler.

Upon our arrival at our destination, we checked into the "Number 1 RV Park of Tyler", which is basically a number of cement slabs where RV's park next to one another a la a parking lot. Since there were no trees for shade, there wouldn't be a problem with satellite TV! 

On a side note, I'd hate to see the "Number 2 RV Park of Tyler". But hey, this one is clean and close to everything, so they claim.

We were assigned spot #1, so that makes us the number one in the number one! One is a prime number, one plus one is two and that's the only even prime number, and one next to one is eleven, and even that is a prime number. So, according to my calculation and the alignment of some dwarf stars, we're in a prime location! At least that's what I tell myself.

After unhooking the truck from the trailer - I'm getting really good at this - we decided it was time for a Wal*Mart Super Center run to pick up groceries and various sundries. I'm of the opinion if you want to truly see the face of America, you just need to visit the local Wal*Mart.

That being said, I'm concerned about Tyler. I'm afraid that there might be extensive inbreeding in this area; I can't prove it, but I have my suspicions. Trying to keep a straight face while people watching here was a real challenge. I'm extremely lucky to get out of that store with my face not contorted from trying to suppress my thoughts externally! You know they have a website dedicated to the oddities in Wal*Mart, and I'm convinced that more than a few were photographed here.

We spent the rest of the evening catching up on email since the WiFi here is the best we've had so far on the entire trip. The great WiFi may be that we're just 50 feet from the office.

We're also only 40 feet from the laundry room, so that may be another omen....

There are no pictures with this edition of the blog (other than that Wal*Mart link, above), because quite frankly I found nothing I wanted to permanently etch for posterity on on this leg of our journey. . .

High temperature today: 99°
Miles driven: 230

No comments:

Post a Comment